Ways to Reduce Cancer Risk Naturally: Natural Options for Enhancing Immunity, Fighting Disease and Reducing Cancer Risk
- Filter your tap water: Prevention Magazine’s Richard Laliberteoffers tips for dramatically lowering your cancer risk in his article, 20 Ways to Never Get Cancer. Laliberte recommends filtering your tap water to reduce exposure to both known and suspected carcinogens and chemicals that can disrupt your hormones.
ØThe President’s Cancer Panel suggests filtered tap water at home is safer than bottled water Store. filtered water in stainless steel or glass containers. Avoid chemical contaminants such as BPA that can leach from plastic bottles
- Eat resistant starches: Resistant starch may help reduce the increased risk of colon cancer caused by a diet high in red meat. Resistant starch is found in foods such as green bananas, rolled oats, and white beans. Adding resistant starches every day while eating lean red meat helps cell proliferation in rectal tissue go back to normal.
ØKnown as America’s most trusted magazine, Reader’s Digest offers 30 ways to prevent cancer from Stealth Health’s Katie Askew. The article shares cancer-fighting foods and lifestyle moves, and we especially like the recommendation of eating resistant starches.
- Maintain a healthy weight: Everyday Health strives to help readers take better care of themselves and their families with weight-loss tools, expert advice, and health news and information. One of their suggested ways of reducing breast cancer risk naturally is to maintain a healthy weight.
ØObesity is a known risk factor for increasing your risk of developing breast cancer. Regular workouts help you burn fat, which produces estrogen, a known cause of breast cancer. Brisk walking is one way to help maintain a healthy weight
- Avoid alcohol: A leading authority on natural medicine and author of more than 30 books, Dr. Michael Murray provides answers on health and healing. One of his recommended ways to reduce cancer risk naturally is to avoid alcohol.
Three key points we like from Dr. Michael Murray:
ØWomen who drink one alcoholic beverage per day have a 10% greater risk of breast cancer.
ØWomen who drink two alcoholic beverages per day have a 20% increased risk of breast cancer.
ØThe goal is to reduce your cancer risk factors while using dietary and lifestyle changes associated with breast cancer prevention
- Three key points we like from Dr. Michael Murray: The National Center for Biotechnology Information advances science and health by providing access to biological information. In this report, Carol Fabian, Bruce Kimler, and Stephen D. Hursting detail research findings on the connection between omega-3 fatty acids and breast cancer prevention and survivorship.
Omega-3 fatty acids have been found to reduce the risk of breast cancer. Omega-3 fatty acids aid in reducing inflammation, which may lead to cancer. Primary sources of omega-3 fatty acids include fish and supplements
- Reduce risk of liver and colorectal cancer with probiotics:
Newsmax Health shares news regarding total wellness for a better life. Nick Tate’s Newsmax Health article, Probiotics May Help Combat Liver Cancer, shares the findings from a study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences: probiotics play a beneficial role in reducing gastrointestinal inflammation and preventing colorectal cancer.
- Probiotics have been found to combat liver cancer and colorectal cancer. Probiotics reduce liver tumor growth by blocking angiogenesis, or the process that involves tumors generating new blood vessels to spread and grow. Probiotics increase the anti-inflammatory bacteria and metabolites present in the gut, which may account for their ability to block tumor progression
- Include flax in your diet
The Times of India is India’s number one digital news designation and the world’s largest-selling English newspaper. Ipshita Mitra’s Top 10 Foods that Prevent Breast Cancer is a Times of India article that includes the best food for preventing breast cancer risk in women, according to senior clinical nutritionist and coordinator for Fortis Memorial Research Institute Tina Sapra and Dr. Vandana Mathur, consulting nutritionist at Metropolis Healthcare in Mumbai. Flaxseed is one of their top ways to reduce cancer risk naturally.
Three key points we like from The Times of India:
- You can eat flax as a whole seed, ground seed, or flaxseed oil
- The omega-3s, lignans, and fiber in flaxseed form a protective shield against the cells responsible for causing breast cancer
- Consider adding flax to yogurt or a smoothy or adding flaxseed oil to salad dressings or baked goods
- Eat more tomatoes
The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) promotes preventive medicine, conducts clinical research, and encourages higher standards in research. One of their recommended ways to reduce cancer risk naturally is to eat more tomatoes, because they are a top source of lycopene. Lycopene is a free radical-fighting antioxidant that prevents free radicals from attaching to your cells and wreaking havoc on your immune system.
Three key points we like from PCRM:
- Lycopene helps prevent prostate, lung, and stomach cancers
- Some evidence suggests that lycopene may help to reduce the risk of pancreatic, colorectal, esophageal, breast, and cervix cancer
- Tomatoes and tomato products, guava, watermelon, and pink grapefruit contain lycopene
- Eat more garlic
WebMD and their medical team offer trustworthy and timely health news and information. Their article, Seven (Easy to Find) Foods that May Help Prevent Cancer, includes foods that increase your odds of preventing cancer and maximizing your health. Garlic is one of the superfoods they suggest eating as a way to reduce your cancer risk naturally.
Three key points we like from WebMD:
- The sulfur compounds in garlic may prevent cancer-causing substances from forming in your body
- Garlic fights bacteria, including H. pylori, the bacteria that is connected to some ulcers and stomach cancer
- Garlic reduces the risk of colon cancer
- Avoid tobacco
Berkeley Wellness is a leading online source of evidence-based wellness information. One of their recommendations for reducing cancer risk naturally is to avoid tobacco. Quitting smoking or other tobacco use is one of the most important steps you can take to protect your health.
Three key points we like from Berkeley Wellness:
- Cigarette smoking causes lung cancer in addition to cancers of the esophagus, larynx, mouth, throat, kidneys, bladder, pancreas, stomach, and cervix
- Secondhand smoke causes lung cancer
- Smokeless tobacco, cigars, and pipes also increase cancer risk
- Avoid excess protein
HealWithFood.org offers condition-specific nutrition guides to more than 50 common conditions and diseases. They promote healthy eating for a longer, healthier life. One of their recommended ways to reduce cancer risk naturally is to avoid excess protein, especially for lung cancer prevention.
Three key points we like from HealWithFood.org:
- Avoid excessive amounts of protein if you want to minimize your risk of lung cancer, but keep in mind that a certain amount of protein is necessary for a healthy body
- Pancreatic enzymes are able to destroy cancer cells, but high protein diets force pancreatic enzymes to focus on protein digestion rather than on the eradication of cancer
- Some experts suggest a protein-free period of 12 hours each day to combat cancer
- Increase your intake of antioxidants
The National Cancer Institute is the United States government’s lead agency for cancer research. One of their recommended ways to reduce cancer risk naturally is to increase your intake of antioxidants, because they interact with and neutralize the free radicals, or highly reactive chemicals that can lead to the development of cancer.
Three key points we like from NCI:
- Antioxidant supplements reduce the risk of death from gastric cancer
- While the body makes some antioxidants, our diet provides the rest of the antioxidants we need
- Fruits, vegetables, and grains are rich sources of dietary antioxidants
- Limit red and processed meat
Helpguide.org offers practical, motivating information about mental health, relationships, and healthy living so that you can help yourself and others. Helpguides’ Cancer Prevention Diet post explores the link between cancer and diet and suggests limiting red and processed meat as a way to reduce cancer risk naturally.
Three key points we like from Helpguide.org:
- Processed meats such as bacon, sausages, hot dogs, pepperoni, and salami contain the highest cancer risk due to the nitrate preservatives and other substances used in processing the meat
- Red meat lacks fiber and other nutrients that have cancer-protective properties
- Industrially-raised meat often contains antibiotics and hormones, and the animals may have been raised on feed containing GMOs, which are markers for an increased cancer risk
- Use aspirin and other NSAIDs
The American Cancer Society offers 24/7 cancer care and works toward a world free of cancer. While they admit there may be no way to prevent stomach cancer, the American Cancer Society reports that using aspirin or other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs seems to lower the risk of stomach cancer.
Three key points we like from the American Cancer Society:
- Aspirin or other NSAIDs, such as ibuprofen or naproxen, may reduce the risk of stomach cancer
- NSAIDs and aspirin can reduce the risk of developing colon polyps and colon cancer
- Doctors do not recommend taking NSAIDs specifically to prevent stomach cancer, but it is an added benefit for patients who take them for other reasons, such as to treat arthritis
- Get enough calcium and vitamin D
The Siteman Cancer Center is a national cancer institute comprehensive cancer center and a member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network. Their article, 8 Ways to Prevent Colon Cancer, explains that getting enough calcium and vitamin D is one way to reduce colon cancer risk naturally.
Three key points we like from Siteman Cancer Center:
- People should take 1,000 to 1,200 milligrams of calcium per day
- People should take about 1,000 international units (IU) of vitamin D per day
- You should know whether you have a vitamin D deficiency, especially if you live in northern parts of the country, are elderly, are very overweight, or have darker skin
- Eat more fat from plants than animals
Mayo Clinic is an integrated clinical practice, education, and research institution that specializes in treating patients. Their post, Prostate Cancer Prevention: Ways to Reduce Your Risk, explores ways to reduce your prostate cancer risk by making healthy choices that include exercising and eating a healthy diet, such as eating more fat from plants than animals.
Three key points we like from Mayo Clinic:
- Fats from animals are more likely to be associated with an increased risk of prostate cancer
- Animal products containing animal fats include meat, lard, and butter
- Consider using plant-based fats, such as olive oil instead of butter and nuts or seeds on salads instead of cheese
- Increase your fiber intake
The Cancer Treatment Centers of America (CTCA) has been helping patients win the fight against cancer via advanced technology and a personalized approach for nearly 30 years. CTCA recommends increasing your fiber intake as a way to reduce cancer risk naturally.
Three key points we like from CTCA:
- Consume the National Cancer Institute’s recommended 35 grams of fiber each day
- Fiber helps you to decrease your risk of breast, colon, esophagus, mouth, ovarian, pharynx, rectum, stomach, and prostate cancers
- Fiber helps you to reduce and/or absorb cancer-causing toxins
- Eat lots of raw vegetables
Ask Dr. Sears is a trusted resource for parents, so they can become better informed consumers of health care. In their post, 12 Dietary Changes to Lower Cancer Risk, the Ask Dr. Sears team suggests eating lots of raw vegetables as a natural way to reduce cancer risk.
Three key points we like from As Dr. Sears:
- Eating more fruits and vegetables can reduce all kinds of cancer risks
- Fruits and vegetables contain phenols, indols, flavones, cumines, and isothiocyanates, which naturally block carcinogens
- The best vegetables are cruciferous vegetables, such as broccoli, cabbage, Brussel sprouts, mustard greens, kale, and cauliflower
- Avoid gluten and wheat
Doctors Health Press is a health news and advice site that aims to give readers the best alternative and natural health updates. Their post, Four Ways to Decrease Breast Cancer Risk Naturally, suggests avoiding gluten and wheat as a natural way to reduce cancer risk.
Three key points we like from Doctors Health Press:
- Wheat is the primary source of gluten, which can indirectly increase your risk of cancer
- Wheat turns into sugar in your bloodstream, which feeds cancer cells
- Gluten consumption can lead to gut inflammation, which impacts your immune system and can increase the risk of any type of cancer
- Reduce inflammation with probiotics
The Daily Mail shares the latest news, sports, entertainment, and science stories. Could Probiotics Ward Off Cancer? Increasing Levels of ‘Good’ Bacteria in the Intestines ‘Slows and Stops the Disease Developing’ is Lizzie Parry’s Daily Mail article that shares information from studies that have found anti-inflammatory bacteria lowers the risk of cancer. In fact, doctors some day could prescribe probiotics as a way to reduce cancer risk naturally.
Three key points we like from the Daily Mail:
- The good bacteria found in probiotics have anti-inflammatory properties, which plays a critical role in reducing cancer risk
- Microbiota may delay the onset of cancer, and probiotic supplements could prevent cancer from forming
- “It is our hope that the use of probiotics-containing (supplements) would be a potential chemopreventative for normal humans, while the same type of microbiota would decrease tumor incidence in cancer susceptible populations”